Friday, October 30, 2009

Well, I have been trying for almost two full weeks now to get to Peltzer Farms for a fun couple of hours in farm life and those precious family pictures among the pumpkins. But, my kids have single-handedly come up with various reasons (including sickness and sleep) to thwart my efforts upon every attempt! Don't they know that its supposed to be a blast with pig races, petting zoos, and tractors to view? I'm just trying to be that wonderful mom who exposes her kids to all sorts of little adventures and the beautiful varying aspects of nature that come with each season! I'm doing this for them!...or am I? The selfish motivation began to rear its head when I felt the boiling emotions of disappointment and frustration overflow into an agitated and impatient person--my gracious husband gently reminding me that we can try again another day. Well, we were still getting a pumpkin I determined after the 2nd time of actually changing our plans en route to Peltzer Farms. So what if Audrie has started to cry in her car seat...Jake and I were going to pick out a pumpkin at a local grocery store. Isn't that terrible!
Lately, I have been undergoing a lesson or two in flexibility and, as you can see, have yet to pass the course. In fact, my perfect plan for the day has been so difficult to maintain that I have even considered hanging up a schedule in the crib for Jake to thoroughly acquaint himself with the next day's events beforehand. Don't worry, I haven't gone that far--yet. But honestly, I thank the Lord at the close of the day for His faithful work in my life. It has been said that if you want to rid yourself of selfishness, get married and if you want to learn to die daily to self, have kids. But I am thankful for the beauty that both my husband and children bring to my life. And, I am glad God is continuously working out flexibility in this girl who is most comfortable with a planner in one hand and list of to-do's in the other. Perhaps I shouldn't share this shameful secret, but I have been known to even add an item on the list after it has been completed just so I can have the satisfaction of checking it off.
Well, we have one more day to try and make it out to Peltzer Farms but after all of my persistent efforts I think I can honestly say that my disappointment will be under control this time around. After all, I still have my pumpkin!...kidding!! "A fool vents all hes feelings, but a wise man holds them back." Proverbs 29:11. And, "He who rules his emotions [is better] than he who takes a city." Proverbs 16:32 Also, I am on the lookout for my selfless motivation becoming a selfish ambition. Its amazing how small a step it takes to cross over!
Here are a few pictures from last year just in case this year doesn't work out!




No comments:

Post a Comment